Saturday, January 24, 2009

forever different

top 10 reasons going to the beach for the afternoon will never be the same again

1. Sand- Why does it get put straight into the mouth and how does it manage to get in every crack and crevice if a little person?
2.Swimsuit- The figure I was once uncomfortable with in my bikini seems like a dream. I'm now the boardshort mom.
3 waves- Aren't at all fun, rather when they come in they put Laila in a near panic, even little ones.
4.Sun- The hole in the ozone is no myth, no more tan, just straight burn
5. book- No more gripping travel memoir I usually enjoy, it was a bit of Dr. Seuss and ABC instead
6 serenity- Being on constant alert to make sure Laila didn't choke on rocks, shells, seaweed, sticks, garbage, and sand wore me out a little bit
7. swimming- I know sharks are mostly in Australia, but we're close enough to let my imagination get the best of me and scare me out of the water...plus it's too cold to stay in too long.
8 picnic- Forget dinner on the beach, there was too much sand in the way to allow food into Laila's mouth, dinner had to wait till 2 hours past it's normal time. Not good for the cry factor.
9 stuff stuff stuff- It seems like a silly thing to pack up the whole house just for an afternoon on the beach, and even sillier to clean it and put it away...I always remember my mom doing that...oh wait, I'm the mom now. I forget that sometimes.
10. seafood- Despite a long day, an exhausted momma an even more exhausted baby, and a burnt daddy, Laila is asleep, we are finally fed and clean and my wonderful husband is cooking up the scallops he went diving for. Fresh scallops, a glass of wine...not a bad end to a crazy day.

3 comments:

Ellen Anderson said...

Not FOREVER different....just for a few short years!
But soon after that you will find that your legs don't look so good in board shorts any more, you can't get comfortable lying on the beach, and it seems easier just to have dinner when you get home!
So you have to enjoy that window when the kids are not babies any more, but you're not getting old either!

Myrn and Steve said...

Cheer up, my girl. The beach will be fun when the kids are running with you in the waves. There will still be sand everywhere, but the memories and laughter with it will all be rewarding.

Bonnie Leon said...

This sounds vaguely familiar. :-)

Bonnie